Crisp Almond Sugar Cookies
"We made these crisp cookies often when I worked in the lunchroom at our daughters' grade school," recalls Linda Holt from Wichita Falls, Texas. "The almond flavor makes them unique."
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 10 min./batch
- 2 cups butter-flavored shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- Additional sugar or colored sugar
- In a large bowl, cream the shortening and sugars until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in extracts. Combine the flour, baking soda and cream of tartar; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto ungreased baking sheets. Flatten with a glass dipped in sugar. Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 238 calories, 13g fat (3g saturated fat), 14mg cholesterol, 91mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Almond Sugar Cookies in Taste of Home August/September 2000
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.