"We made these crisp cookies often when I worked in the lunchroom at our daughters' grade school," recalls Linda Holt from Wichita Falls, Texas. "The almond flavor makes them unique."
Recommended: The Best Cookies for Dunking
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 cups butter-flavored shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- Additional sugar or colored sugar
- In a large bowl, cream the shortening and sugars until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in extracts. Combine the flour, baking soda and cream of tartar; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto ungreased baking sheets. Flatten with a glass dipped in sugar. Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: 5 dozen.
Originally published as Almond Sugar Cookies in Taste of Home August/September 2000, p65
Reviews forCrisp Almond Sugar Cookies
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Dec. 12, 2008
"These are excellent. I did some with almond extract; some with vanilla. My son (26) couldn't stop eating them!"