Crimson Devonshire Cream
Meet the Cook: Every Christmas, we have a big family dinner. Searching for something to replace heavy pies, my mom discovered this recipe one year. It's since become a tradition that we all look forward to. At our house, my husband and our son, 13, are my "guinea pigs". Both of them love to eat - and I love to cook! -Cindy Cafasso, Barrington, New Hampshire
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Cook: 25 min.
- 1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
- 3/4 cup cold water
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup sour cream
- CRIMSON SAUCE:
- 2-1/4 cups fresh or frozen cranberries, divided
- 1-1/3 cups water
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 4 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 3/4 cup sugar
- In a saucepan, soften gelatin in water; heat over low until gelatin dissolves. Cool. In a bowl, beat cream, sugar and vanilla until soft peaks form. Combine the gelatin mixture and sour cream; mix well. Gently whisk into the cream mixture. Pour into small bowls or parfait glasses. Chill until set, about 1 hour.
- For sauce, combine 1-1/2 cups cranberries, water, orange juice and zest in a saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes. Sieve sauce, discarding skins. Return sauce to pan; add sugar and remaining cranberries. Cook over medium heat until berries pop, about 8 minutes. Chill. Spoon over each serving of cream.