Crimson Crumble Bars
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + cooling Bake: 25 min.
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1 can (8 ounces) unsweetened crushed pineapple, undrained
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup old-fashioned oats
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch, cranberries and pineapple; bring to a boil, stirring often. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until the berries pop. Remove from the heat.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, oats, brown sugar and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in pecans. Set aside 1-1/2 cups for topping.
- Press remaining crumb mixture onto the bottom of a 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until firm; cool for 10 minutes.
- Pour fruit filling over crust. Sprinkle with reserved crumb mixture. Bake for 25-30 minutes longer or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 152 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 67mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat, 1/2 fruit.
Mar 25, 2014
Loved these. Excellent. Will be making again for sure! Thanks for sharing the recipe.
Jan 12, 2008
These turned out well, but I believe there is a mistake in the recipe. After baking the bottom layer, it should say "cool for 10 minutes" instead of "cook for 10 nminutes".