Crimson Crumble Bars
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + cooling Bake: 25 min.
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1 can (8 ounces) unsweetened crushed pineapple, undrained
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup old-fashioned oats
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch, cranberries and pineapple; bring to a boil, stirring often. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until the berries pop. Remove from the heat.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, oats, brown sugar and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in pecans. Set aside 1-1/2 cups for topping.
- Press remaining crumb mixture onto the bottom of a 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until firm; cool for 10 minutes.
- Pour fruit filling over crust. Sprinkle with reserved crumb mixture. Bake for 25-30 minutes longer or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 152 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 67mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat, 1/2 fruit.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 25, 2014
Loved these. Excellent. Will be making again for sure! Thanks for sharing the recipe.
Jan 12, 2008
These turned out well, but I believe there is a mistake in the recipe. After baking the bottom layer, it should say "cool for 10 minutes" instead of "cook for 10 nminutes".