Creole Stuffed Tomatoes
One of my hobbies is cooking and trying out different foods. This recipe is something I created years ago and have made many times since.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + draining Bake: 30 min.
- 6 to 8 large tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups cooked long grain rice
- 1/2 pound sliced bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound cooked small shrimp
- 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Cut a thin slice off the top of each tomato; scoop out the discard pulp. Sprinkle salt inside the tomatoes; invert on paper towels to drain. In a large bowl, combine the rice, bacon, cheese, onion, parsley, egg and pepper. Fold in shrimp. Spoon into tomatoes. Place in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Combine bread crumbs and butter; sprinkle over the tomatoes. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30 minutes or until heated through.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 280 calories, 12g fat (6g saturated fat), 164mg cholesterol, 568mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 21g protein.
Originally published as Creole Stuffed Tomatoes in Country Extra May 1998