Creole Stuffed Tomatoes
One of my hobbies is cooking and trying out different foods. This recipe is something I created years ago and have made many times since.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + draining Bake: 30 min.
- 6 to 8 large tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups cooked long grain rice
- 1/2 pound sliced bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound cooked small shrimp
- 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Cut a thin slice off the top of each tomato; scoop out the discard pulp. Sprinkle salt inside the tomatoes; invert on paper towels to drain. In a large bowl, combine the rice, bacon, cheese, onion, parsley, egg and pepper. Fold in shrimp. Spoon into tomatoes. Place in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Combine bread crumbs and butter; sprinkle over the tomatoes. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30 minutes or until heated through.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 280 calories, 12g fat (6g saturated fat), 164mg cholesterol, 568mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 21g protein.
Originally published as Creole Stuffed Tomatoes in Country Extra May 1998
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.