Creole Steaks Recipe
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 4 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) fire-roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 4 beef cube steaks (4 ounces each)
- Additional salt and pepper
- 1. In a large skillet, saute the onion, green pepper and celery in
- 2. 2 tablespoons oil until crisp-tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the flour, salt, thyme, cayenne and pepper.
- 3. Add tomatoes and pepper sauce; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20-25 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat; stir in lemon juice and keep warm.
- 4. Sprinkle steaks with salt and pepper to taste. In another large skillet, cook steaks in remaining oil over medium heat for 3-4 minutes on each side or until no longer pink. Serve with sauce. Yield: 4 servings.
1 each: 355 calories, 18g fat (2g saturated fat), 64mg cholesterol, 889mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 3g fiber), 28g protein.
Reviews for Creole Steaks
"I prepared this delicious dish tonight and we liked it. It is an easy dish to prepare but it comes with a warning. If you do not care for foods that are too spicy, you may want to cut way back or eliminate the cayenne pepper. It does make the dish hot. The cubed steaks were a tad on the tough side so next time I may use my Instant Pot pressure cooker. I served brown rice on the side and the tomato sauce was delicious poured over it as well. We liked this recipe and I do recommend it.Volunteer Field Editor"