Creole-Spiced Shrimp Po'Boys Recipe
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1 teaspoon prepared horseradish
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- Oil for frying
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon Creole seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined (tails removed)
- 4 French rolls, split
- 2 medium tomatoes, sliced
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- 1. In a small bowl, mix the mayonnaise, ketchup, horseradish and pepper sauce. Cover and chill until serving.
- 2. In an electric skillet, heat 1/2 in. of oil to 375°. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, cornmeal, Creole seasoning and salt.
- 3. Add shrimp, a few at a time; seal bag and toss to coat. Fry shrimp in oil for 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
- 4. Spread rolls with some of the sauce. Layer bottoms with lettuce, shrimp and tomatoes; replace tops. Serve with remaining sauce. Yield: 4 sandwiches (1 cup sauce).
1 sandwich: 847 calories, 49g fat (6g saturated fat), 153mg cholesterol, 1889mg sodium, 71g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 5g fiber), 29g protein.
Reviews for Creole-Spiced Shrimp Po'Boys
"Delicious shrimp! I am going to double dip in the flour/cornmeal next time with some beaten egg in between to make the breading a bit crispier."
"This recipe is a favorite of my husbands. We had shrimp po boys in Florida and he said they were no where near as good as these!"
"really good - I think I would use cabbage instead of lettus...."
"It was a very good sandwich."