Creole Rice Cakes
Recipe by Mahatma® and Carolina® Rice, Houston, TX
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 2 packages (5 ounces) Mahatma© or Carolina© Saffron Yellow Rice Mix
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh celery
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/2 tablespoon Creole seasoning
- 2 cups chopped cooked shrimp or crawfish
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- REMOULADE SAUCE:
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons Creole mustard
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon sweet pickle relish
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon prepared horseradish
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1. Preheat oven to 375°. Coat 18 regular-size muffin cups with nonstick cooking spray; set aside.
- 2. Prepare rice according to package directions. In medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat; add onions, celery and bell peppers and saute 5 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in bread crumbs, Creole seasoning and shrimp. Stir in eggs. Fold in rice until all ingredients are incorporated.
- 3. Spoon mixture into muffin cups until half full; flatten tops. Bake 25 minutes. Serve warm with remoulade sauce.
- 4. Remoulade sauce: Mix all ingredients in a small bowl. If desired, substitute spicy brown or Dijon mustard for the Creole mustard. Refrigerate unused portion.
- 5. Note: To make as an appetizer, prepare as directed using mini-muffin pans; reduce baking time to 15 minutes. Use a small ice cream scoop to portion mix. Makes 48 mini cakes.
© 2019 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC