Creole Rice Cakes
Recipe by Mahatma® and Carolina® Rice, Houston, TX
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 25 min.
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 2 packages (5 ounces) Mahatma© or Carolina© Saffron Yellow Rice Mix
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh celery
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/2 tablespoon Creole seasoning
- 2 cups chopped cooked shrimp or crawfish
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- REMOULADE SAUCE:
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons Creole mustard
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon sweet pickle relish
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon prepared horseradish
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- Preheat oven to 375°. Coat 18 regular-size muffin cups with nonstick cooking spray; set aside.
- Prepare rice according to package directions. In medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat; add onions, celery and bell peppers and saute 5 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in bread crumbs, Creole seasoning and shrimp. Stir in eggs. Fold in rice until all ingredients are incorporated.
- Spoon mixture into muffin cups until half full; flatten tops. Bake 25 minutes. Serve warm with remoulade sauce.
- Remoulade sauce: Mix all ingredients in a small bowl. If desired, substitute spicy brown or Dijon mustard for the Creole mustard. Refrigerate unused portion.
- Note: To make as an appetizer, prepare as directed using mini-muffin pans; reduce baking time to 15 minutes. Use a small ice cream scoop to portion mix. Makes 48 mini cakes.
Originally published as Creole Rice Cakes in Fall 2016 Cooking School Magazine
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.