Creole-Poached Chicken Breasts
Aside from a little veggie chopping, this one-dish chicken dinner couldn’t get much easier! A dash of cayenne adds some Creole-style heat to this hearty weeknight meal. Healthy Cooking Test Kitchen
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, diced
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 1 can (15 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, saute the onions, celery and pepper in oil until tender. Add the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes or until a thermometer reads 170°. Remove chicken; keep warm.
- Return cooking juices to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 8-10 minutes or until most of the sauce is evaporated. Serve with chicken.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 220 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 63mg cholesterol, 432mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 5g fiber), 26g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 starch.
Originally published as Creole Poached Chicken Breasts in Healthy Cooking October/November 2009