We may live in Canada, but the taste of this meat loaf says "New Orleans"! When bell peppers are in season, this is one of the best ways I know to enjoy their flavor.—Linda Kornelson, Empress, Alberta
Recommended: Homemade Mixes for Popular Pantry Staples
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 can (5 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup coarsely crushed saltine crackers
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1/2 teaspoon horseradish
- In a large bowl, combine the milk, egg, green pepper and onion. Stir in the crackers, salt, mustard and pepper. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Pat into an ungreased 8x4-in. loaf pan.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1-1/4 hours or until no pink remains and a thermometer reads 160°. Drain.
- Let loaf stand in pan for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine the sauce ingredients. Cook until heated through. Turn loaf out onto a serving platter. Spoon 1/2 cup hot sauce over loaf; serve remaining sauce with meat loaf. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Creole Meat Loaf in Country Ground Beef 1993, p30