Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 4 bacon strips, diced
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup each chopped green pepper and sweet red pepper
- 2 cups chopped seeded tomatoes
- 1 to 2 bay leaves
- 2 cups fresh or frozen corn, thawed
- 2 teaspoons Creole seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon to paper towels; drain, reserving drippings.
- Saute onion and peppers in drippings until tender. Add tomatoes and bay leaves. Cook, uncovered, over medium-low heat for 10 minutes.
- Add corn; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes or until corn is tender. Discard bay leaves. Stir in seasonings. Sprinkle with bacon.
Editor's NoteThe following spices may be substituted for 1 teaspoon Creole seasoning: 1/4 teaspoon each salt, garlic powder and paprika; and a pinch each of dried thyme, ground cumin and cayenne pepper.
Aug 12, 2015
I made this last night, as a side, with pot roast. I made a half recipe, and used poblano peppers in place of green bell peppers. The flavor balance is excellent. When I make it again -- and I will -- I will probably increase the amount of corn relative to the other vegetables, but otherwise I would not change it.
Aug 11, 2015
I prepared this last night and cannot begin to tell you how much we loved it. One of the very best recipes I have tried recently. Both my husband and I nearly ate the entire recipe it is so good. We will definitely be having this again. I would give it ten stars if I could. I highly recommend this dish as a Volunteer Field Editor for Taste of Home.
Mar 6, 2014
This was the easiest recipe and pulled together quickly. My 6 year old loved it! A wonderful blend for veggies and it is not overpowering on spice incase anyone was worried about the creole spice. Totally perfect!
Dec 4, 2010
Good and different recipe for corn. I won't use quite as much Creole seasoning next time.