Creole Butter Beans
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup water
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) butter beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 4-1/2 teaspoons chili sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- In a large saucepan, saute the onion, celery, green pepper and garlic in oil until onion is tender. Combine the flour, salt and pepper; sprinkle over onion mixture and stir until well blended. Cook 1 minute longer.
- Gradually whisk in water. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 113 calories, 2g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 641mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 6g fiber), 6g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 lean meat.
Dec 30, 2012
My husband and I love this recipe. As the previous reviewer notes, this is not a spicy dish, but the sauce is wonderful. It is great with macaroni and cheese and cornbread.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.