- 1 large butternut squash (about 5 pounds)
- 1 carton (32 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 pound chopped baby portobello (cremini) mushrooms
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup grated Romano cheese
- Cut squash in half lengthwise; discard seeds. Place squash, cut side down, in a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 400° for 55-65 minutes or until tender.
- Cool slightly; carefully scoop out flesh. Place in a food processor with 1 cup broth; cover and process until smooth.
- In a large Dutch oven over medium heat, cook onion in oil until tender. Add mushrooms; cook 3-4 minutes longer or until tender. Add the garlic, thyme and sage; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the nutmeg, squash puree and remaining broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes.
- Stir in cream; heat through (do not boil). Ladle soup into bowls; sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
Reviews forCremini & Butternut Squash Soup
"I love this soup. I garnish it with crumbled goat cheese, and use 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme instead of the fresh. Love the texture. That's a whole lot of squash though!"