Creme de Menthe Squares
- 1-1/4 cups finely crushed Oreo cookies (about 14 cookies)
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
- 1-3/4 cups cold 2% milk, divided
- 20 large marshmallows
- 3 tablespoons green creme de menthe
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 package (3.9 ounces) instant chocolate pudding mix
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1. In a small bowl, mix crushed cookies and melted butter. Reserve 3 tablespoons for topping. Press remaining mixture onto bottom of a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Refrigerate 30 minutes.
- 2. In a large microwave-safe bowl, sprinkle gelatin over 1/2 cup cold milk; let stand 1 minute. Microwave on high for 30-40 seconds. Stir until gelatin is completely dissolved. Add marshmallows; cook 1-2 minutes longer or until marshmallows are puffed; stir until smooth. Stir in creme de menthe. Refrigerate 15-20 minutes or until cold but not set, stirring often.
- 3. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, gradually beat cream cheese until smooth. In another bowl, whisk pudding mix and remaining cold milk. Gradually beat into cream cheese.
- 4. In a large bowl, beat cream until soft peaks form; fold into marshmallow mixture. Spoon half of the mixture over prepared crust; refrigerate 10 minutes. Layer with pudding mixture and remaining marshmallow mixture; top with reserved crumbs. Refrigerate 2 hours or until set.
1 piece: 371 calories, 21g fat (11g saturated fat), 58mg cholesterol, 232mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (27g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Mar 31, 2019Quite a few steps from start to finish but worth the effort. This made a pretty and tasty dessert for St. Patricks Day.
May 28, 2018
This recipe set up great and looked good but the flavors were really subtle. I prefer a stronger chocolate and mint flavor, more along the lines of an Andes candy. Make sure to follow the recipe's instructions and stir the creme de menthe mixture often or it will turn lumpy.
Note: I used creme de menthe liqueur.
Dec 3, 2015
This was very good, albeit labor intensive! I probably had 2 hours invested in the project.
Nov 17, 2015
I'd like to try this recipe. It looks yummy! A question, though. Should I use creme de menthe syrup, flavoring, or liqueur? Giving 5 stars because I'm not going to take away any stars for just asking a question.