Creamy Vegetable Soup with Rice
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + cooling Cook: 40 min.
Makes16 servings (4-1/2 quarts)
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 4 carrots, chopped
- 2 medium unpeeled potatoes, chopped
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup uncooked brown rice
- 8 cups coarsely chopped fresh broccoli
- 8 cups coarsely chopped fresh cauliflower
- 4 cups fat-free milk
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large kettle, combine broth, carrots, potatoes, onions and rice; cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer for 20 minutes. Add broccoli and cauliflower; simmer for 20 minutes or until the vegetables are tender. Cool slightly. Puree half of the mixture in a blender or food processor; return to kettle. Add milk and pepper; mix well. Heat through (do not boil).
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 105 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 1mg cholesterol, 83mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 6g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat-free milk.
Nov 23, 2014
I used this recipe mainly to find a creamy base for a vegetable soup without using heavy creams. The broth/milk combo made for an excellent base. I used fresh celery, carrots, and onion along with some mixed frozen vegetables. I added pepper and salt for taste.
Dec 22, 2011
My husband & I enjoyed this but I thought it would be ameliorated by the addition of some grated cheese and a pinch of salt.