Creamy Vegetable Soup with Cheese
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup diced carrot
- 1/4 cup diced celery
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- Dash salt
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1/2 cup cubed process cheese (Velveeta)
- In a small saucepan, bring broth to a boil. Add carrot and celery; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes or until tender.
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Stir in the flour and salt until blended. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Stir in carrot mixture. Remove from the heat; add cheese and stir until melted.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 216 calories, 14g fat (8g saturated fat), 41mg cholesterol, 797mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 1g fiber), 9g protein.
May 24, 2014
This was delicious served with the Tuna Swiss Melts from the same issue. The only change I made was to use 4 oz of Velveeta.
Jun 14, 2011
My family absolutely loves, loves, loves this recipe and asks me to make it all the time. It is super simple and relatively quick to make. I would recommend this to all ages
Jul 14, 2010
I thouroughly loved this recipe. I made it for a dinner party and everybody enjoyed it. I was even asked for the recipe. The only thing I would change would be that it needs more veggies. But it's easy and delish, with less cheese than some would have you add.
Apr 18, 2010
This is one of my favorite soups ever. I've made it several times. I like doing a combination of Velveeta cheese for creaminess and cheddar cheese for flavor. I've also added broccoli to the soup, and it makes an excellent broccoli cheese soup. I'm always asked for the recipe. It's really delicious and my family and I love dipping bread/rolls into the soup. Highly recommend
Nov 21, 2009
great love it easy to make. the second time I made it I added a frozen veggie mix to the soup even better.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.