- 3/4 pound sliced bacon, chopped
- 2 large onions
- 2 medium carrots
- 2 celery ribs
- 2 medium parsnips
- 2 small turnips
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cartons (32 ounces each) chicken broth
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and chopped
- 3 small red potatoes, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- In a Dutch oven, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels; drain, reserving 3 tablespoons drippings. Chop the onions, carrots, celery, parsnips and turnips; add to the pan. Cook and stir for 6-8 minutes or until fragrant.
- Sprinkle vegetables with flour, salt and cayenne; stir until blended. Gradually add broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in the sweet potato, potatoes, bay leaves, Worcestershire sauce and pepper sauce.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Stir in cream and parsley; heat through. Discard bay leaves. Yield: 12 servings (3 quarts).
Reviews forCreamy Vegetable Chowder
"This was amazing however it was too spicy for us, next time I will omit the hot sauce."
"To make this vegan I woud substitute the half & half with unsweeened almond milk."
"I haven't tried it yet, but I'd like to pick some brains. I'd like to make this vegan. Assuming leaving out the bacon, does anyone have thoughts about using coconut milk instead of cream? Looking forward to seeing responses. Thanks!"
"This recipe is awesome. As previous posters suggested, I halved the cayenne just in case. It was perfect for us. I made it vegetarian by substituting butter for the bacon drippings and vegetable stock for the chicken broth (trying to do vegetarian 1-2 days a week), I also added 3/4 cup grated Asiago cheese along with the cream. After sauteing the onions, carrots and celery, I threw everything except the cream and cheese in the slow cooker and let it cook 7 hours on low for a delicious and incredibly satisfying dinner. This recipe is definitely a keeper. Thanks so much for posting it."
"Delicious, filling and satisfying. It was very light too. Loved it. We halved the spices and I think I'll try full spice next time. Great with biscuits. Thanks Suzanna!"
"I left out the flour and hot pepper sauce. This was tasty and definitely veggie packed."
"Delicious and very easy though a lot of chopping! We halved the cayenne pepper and I'm glad we did. Great with Cheddar Garlic Biscuits."
"Delicious! I would definitely half the cayenne next time, though. I paired this with biscuits, and it was perfect. (Although, I didn't have turnips.)"
"I loved that taste of the parsnips in this wonderful warming soup. The only thing I didn't have was the turnip so I just left it out."
"The recipe has you cook the bacon and then makes no more mention of it. Do you just crumble it over the soup when you serve it? Put it in at the end?"