Creamy Vanilla Custard Ice Cream
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling Process: 20 min./batch + freezing
- 2 cups whole milk
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- Colored sprinkles, optional
- In a large saucepan, heat milk to 175°; stir in sugar and salt until dissolved. Whisk a small amount of hot mixture into the eggs. Return all to the pan, whisking constantly. Cook and stir over low heat until mixture reaches at least 160° and coats the back of a metal spoon.
- Remove from the heat. Cool quickly by placing pan in a bowl of ice water; stir for 2 minutes. Stir in whipping cream and vanilla. Press waxed paper onto surface of custard. Refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- Fill cylinder of ice cream freezer two-thirds full; freeze according to manufacturer’s directions. Refrigerate remaining mixture until ready to freeze. When ice cream is frozen, transfer to a freezer container; freeze for 2-4 hours before serving. Garnish with sprinkles if desired.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 227 calories, 17g fat (10g saturated fat), 95mg cholesterol, 70mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 0 fiber), 3g protein.
Aug 27, 2013
Not sure what went wrong. I followed the directions to a T and the mixture never thickened, it went straight from a very thin frothy milk to a very thin curdled mess. I've made several crème brulees that use a similar process with no issue... After reading several more recipes it seems that they use up to 4 times the amount of eggs that this one did. :(
Jul 9, 2013
This is an awesome vanilla ice cream recipe. I was looking for a homemade ice cream recipe for my twins 2nd birthday party. I do not like the powder mixes you can buy at the grocery store, so this was perfect. I had sooo much to do for the party... I made this ice cream two days ahead of time and stored it in a pitcher in the fridge. Then, 45 minutes to party time, I poured it into the ice cream maker cylinder and made homemade ice cream! I felt like I should pat some flour on cheeks like the Rice Krispies commercial! Haha! I set out some chocolate syrup, caramel and strawberry syrup. My girls added Oreos to theirs... It was perfect!
Jul 7, 2013
If you didn't have good results with this recipe, try using Madagascar vanilla. It also does make a difference with the flavor if you chill it before freezing it. The vanilla melds with the cream....oh so good!
Jun 13, 2011
This is without doubt THE best vanilla ice cream I have ever had ! I have taken it to big pot luck dinners several times and EVERYONE loved it. It is so creamy and has a good vanilla flavor !
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.