- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup white wine or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 pounds turnips, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 carton (32 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 medium potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon olive oil
- 3 cups fresh baby spinach
- In a Dutch oven, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in wine. Bring to a boil; cook until liquid is reduced by half.
- Add turnips, broth and potato. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 20-25 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Cool slightly.
- In a food processor, process soup in batches until smooth. Return all to pan. Stir in cream, salt and nutmeg; heat through.
- Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add spinach; cook and stir just until wilted. Serve with soup. Yield: 9 servings (2-1/4 quarts).
Reviews forCreamy Turnip Soup
"If you don't like turnips, this might not be the soup for you. We, however, are turnip lovers and this soup was fantastic! I cooked it in the crock pot on high for 5 hours and it was great! My 9 and 10 year old practically licked their bowls clean and were happy to have leftovers. I was very happy we were blessed with a ton of turnips in our garden this year because this recipe will be used again and again!"
"It was a good recipe to make since we had an abundance of turnips this year but I would not go to the store to purchase the ingredients just to make the soup."
"I saw the picture and decided to try something new (turnips.) It was awful. It had a strong, bitter aftertaste. I tried adding salt to counteract the bitterness but that only improved it slightly. We choked it down but I definitely would not make it again."
"Fantastic! I ate a whole pot over a cold weekend kind of like potato soup"
"I love trying new soups, this was not a good one. I wouldn't waste your time. Sorry to the creator of the recipe! It just wasn't for me."