Cream cheese and sour cream make these sandwiches rich and irresistible. Using rye bread gives extra flavor and adds a nice contrast to the creamy white filling.
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 5 tablespoons butter, softened, divided
- 3 ounces cream cheese, cubed
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 2 cups cubed cooked turkey
- 8 slices dark rye or pumpernickel bread
- 4 slices Swiss cheese
- In a small saucepan, saute onion in 1 tablespoon butter until tender. Reduce heat to low. Add cream cheese and sour cream; cook and stir until smooth. Add turkey; cook until heated through (do not boil).
- Spoon 1/2 cup filling onto each of four bread slices; top with a slice of cheese. Spread outside of bread with remaining butter. In a large skillet over medium heat, cook sandwiches until lightly browned on both sides. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Creamy Turkey Melt in Home-Style Soups, Salad and Sandwiches Cookbook 1996, p100