- 2 cups water
- 4 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 2 medium fresh tomatoes, peeled and diced
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup sherry, optional
- In a large saucepan, bring first five ingredients to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Cool.
- Puree mixture in a food processor or blender; set aside. In the same saucepan, saute fresh tomatoes in butter for 5 minutes. Stir in flour to make a smooth paste. Gradually add cream and stir over low heat until thickened. Stir in pureed mixture and sherry if desired. Yield: about 8 servings (2 quarts).
Reviews forCreamy Tomato Bisque
"My husband and I really enjoy this soup. It's very delicious! I add a small can of tomato paste."
"Not a tomato bisque recipe I would recommend"
"I searched through four or five different tomato bisque recipes and this is the one I cooked...to astounding accolades by children and adults alike at our dinner for five last night. It may make six servings, but with ladle-sized seconds all around, we finished every last drop! That makes the chef happy! I added two extra fresh tomatoes to the first part that gets pur?ed just because I had four. Delicious! Thank you! I will use your site again."
"We made this on a snowy night when I hadn't planned on making dinner. Fortunately, all of the ingredients are items I normally have in the house. The recipe was easy to make - ready in about a 1/2 hour. I like the smooth creamy soup - just enough tangy-ness to get the tomato flavor. I omitted the sherry and grated a bit of fresh parmesan cheese over the top of each bowl and served with nice crusty grilled cheese sandwiches. Yum! Will definitely make again."
"Outstanding! Only did one thing different. I use a can of diced tomatoes with oregano, basil and garlic because that's all I had. I did not use the optional sherry. Tasted SO close to my favorite restaurant version I was thrilled! I will make this time and time again! Highly recommend."
"I had a Tomato Bisque soup at a restaurant and I loved it. When I went to duplicate it I found this recipe, it is so close and so good!"