Creamy Swiss Scalloped Potatoes
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 9 cups sliced peeled potatoes (2-1/2 pounds)
- 4 cups 2% milk
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 fresh rosemary sprig
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 4 ounces reduced-fat Swiss cheese, shredded
- 1-1/2 cups soft bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, combine the potatoes, milk, salt, garlic, pepper, rosemary and bay leaf. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; cover and cook for 6-8 minutes or until crisp-tender. Discard Rosemary sprig and bay leaf.
- In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and cold water until smooth; stir into potato mixture. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; gently stir in cheese.
- Transfer to a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Combine bread crumbs and butter; sprinkle over potato mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until bubbly and crumbs are golden brown.
Nutrition Facts2/3 cup: 190 calories, 6g fat (4g saturated fat), 17mg cholesterol, 511mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 2g fiber), 8g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1/2 fat-free milk, 1/2 fat.
Oct 28, 2014
Needed a new recipe for a potato side dish. This was just the one. Only changes that I made was that I didn't use fresh thyme, I used dried. Other than that, made the recipe as stated. It was well received by my family.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.