- 5 large white onions, thinly sliced
- 2-1/4 cups sugar
- 1-1/2 cups cider vinegar
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 4 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise or salad dressing
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place the onions in a large bowl. In a saucepan, combine the sugar, vinegar, water and salt. Bring to a boil; pour over onions. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Drain onions, discarding liquid. In a bowl, combine the sour cream, mayonnaise, celery seed, salt and pepper; mix well. Add onions and toss to coat. Yield: 4 cups.
Reviews forCreamy Sweet Onions
"I LOVE this recipe! I was flippinig through the taste of home magazine several years ago, and came upon this recipe. I tried it, and WOW!!! It has since become one of my favorite all time recipes! Put these onions on a burger and you'll be in love too, I promise!"
"I make this recipe but add sliced cucumbers also. I was searching for a recipe for creamy cucumbers after my husband ate some at a picnic he liked and stumbled along this recipe. So I tried it and he loved it! Never lasts long!"
"I make this recipe frequently for picnics - my best suggestion is to lay the onions in a shallow pan in the fridge so you don't have to worry about the top ones not getting "marinated" enough. These are usually gone but do keep nicely for a few days in the fridge. Yummmmmmm"