This is a creation from my sister, Jenny. When I saw her make it, I didn't think the combination would be very tasty together, but I changed my mind immediately upon tasting it.” -Shannon Koene of Blacksburg Virginia
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 20 min. + cooling
- 4 cups frozen lima beans
- 1 cup water
- 4 cups frozen corn
- 2/3 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 medium tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- In a large saucepan, bring lima beans and water to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Add corn; return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 5-6 minutes longer or until vegetables are tender. Drain; cool for 10-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the mayonnaise, mustard, onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Stir in the bean mixture, tomatoes and onion. Serve immediately or refrigerate.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 198 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 6mg cholesterol, 238mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 6g fiber), 7g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat.
Originally published as Jenny's Succotash in Light & Tasty October/November 2007