Creamy Spinach with Bacon
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 3 bacon strips, diced
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 cups half-and-half cream
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a small skillet, cook bacon and onion over medium heat until bacon is crisp and onion is tender. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels; drain and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth. Gradually stir in cream. Bring to boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Reduce heat; stir in the spinach, salt, pepper, nutmeg and bacon mixture. Cook and stir for 5 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 417 calories, 35g fat (19g saturated fat), 96mg cholesterol, 795mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fiber), 9g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Sep 14, 2013
Oh, yes... I believe this is a recipe I've been looking for... For years as a matter of fact... The only change I made was to add French fried onions to the top and brown for a few minutes in the oven... Even family that thought they didn't like spinach, loved it!!!