- 6 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 2 medium leeks (white portion only), chopped
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon sodium-free chicken bouillon granules
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (12 ounces) reduced-fat evaporated milk
- 1 package (9 ounces) fresh spinach, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 10-12 minutes or until tender. Drain. Mash 2 cups potatoes; set aside.
- In a Dutch oven, saute leeks in oil until tender. Whisk the flour, bouillon granules and broth until smooth. Gradually stir into pan. Add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir in mashed potatoes. Add spinach, salt, pepper and remaining potatoes; cook just until spinach is wilted. Sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 9 servings.
Reviews forCreamy Spinach & Potato Soup
"This recipe is very tasty. I substituted smoked cheddar cheese which gave it even more depth of flavor. I gave this 4 instead of five stars simply because the prep time listed is rather misleading. I'm not sure who can get all this prepped in 25 minutes. It takes almost that long just to peel and cube the potatoes. If you make this on a weeknight start early enough!"
"My Husband liked this soup but, I had to thin it a little I think I should have cut back on the 1/2cup flour."
"Used The Flavor Enhancers InsteadOfBouillon. My New Favorite soup."
"It tasted very good but I would cut back on the flour as it was to thick."