From Kingman, Arizona, Vicki Ann Roehrick shares this tasty alternative to taco salad. The creamy chicken mixture is delicious served over lettuce and topped with tortilla chips. If jalapeno-flavored cream cheese and chopped jalapenos.
Recommended: 50 Cowboy Copycat Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1/2 cup chopped jalapeno pepper
- 1 green onion, sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cartons (8 ounces each) whipped cream cheese
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Shredded lettuce
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 can (3.8 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 3 cups crushed tortilla chips
- In a large skillet, saute the chicken, jalapenos and onion in butter until chicken is no longer pink.
- Add the cream cheese, tomatoes, salsa and salt; stir until blended. Serve over lettuce; sprinkle with cheese, olives and tortilla chips. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Tex-Mex Chicken Salad in Quick Cooking May/June 2004, p34