- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (8 ounces) 4% cottage cheese
- 1 pound small shrimp, cooked, peeled and deveined
- 1 cup cooked or canned crabmeat, drained, flaked and cartilage removed
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1 tablespoon dried cilantro flakes
- 12 flour tortillas (6 inches)
- Additional salsa
- Sliced jalapeno pepper, thinly sliced green onions and chopped cilantro leaves, optional
- In a saucepan over low heat, melt butter; stir in flour until smooth. Gradually stir in broth and soup until blended. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until slightly thickened. Remove from the heat. Stir in sour cream, salsa and salt; set aside.
- Place cottage cheese in a blender; cover and process until smooth. Transfer to a bowl; add the shrimp, crab, Monterey Jack cheese, chilies and cilantro.
- Spread 1-1/2 cups sauce in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Place about 1/3 cup seafood mixture down the center of each tortilla. Roll up and place seam side down over sauce. Top with the remaining sauce. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until heated through. Serve with additional salsa. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forCreamy Seafood Enchiladas
"It looked wonderful and I really enjoy seafood. But I was surprised to find it rather bland and afterwards, without over eating, it felt very heavy in my stomach. My husband felt the same. We were disappointed."
"Delicious! My husband wants to put a few drops of Tabasco sauce in the filling mix next time to just add a little spice. I loved it just as it is!"
"Really good! I substituted bay scallops for half of the shrimp, and used fresh cilantro because I find that the dried does not have much flavor. I served Mexican rice and refried beans alongside. Next time I will put more salsa into the sauce mixture, and might substitute roasted fresh jalapenos for the canned. This makes a lot. We're going to be having it for lunch for at least a couple of days."
"My family rates recipes from 1 to 5 but reserves a 5+ rating for those dishes they LOVE. This one got a 5+!"
"<p>Delicious and easy. I have made this several times. I also make this without the seafood and with extra shredded cheese for my vegetarian son... Per another reviewer's suggestion, the last two times I have made this with ricotta rather than cottage cheese, which makes this dish even easier to prepare, no blender required... In future I think I will double the amount of sauce I make for this dish...</p>"
"This was excellent. Made it while in Maine on a family vacation. I used Maine Crab & Maine Shrimp. I put cilantro in the sauce, but not in the filling. I also used ricotta cheese instead of cottage cheese... much creamier and smoother than blended cottage cheese. There were 8 of us, so I doubled the recipe, used burrito size tortillas and ended up with 14 enchiladas. Everyone loved it!!"
"This recipe was easy to make & wonderful. I used mock crab and shrimp. My husband loved this recipe."
"Very tasty recipe and simple to put together. Next time I might add green and red peppers along with a little bit of onion."