Creamy Scallop Crepes
These savory crepes feel so elegant for the holidays. I like to add 1/4 teaspoon of fresh dill weed to the crepe batter before refrigerating. —Doreen Kelly, Hatboro, Pennsylvania
Total TimePrep: 45 min. + chilling Bake: 15 min.
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 large egg
- 1-1/2 cups fat-free milk
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 pound bay scallops
- 1/2 cup white wine or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup fat-free evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat Swiss cheese
- Sliced green onions, optional
- In a small bowl, beat the egg whites, egg and milk. Combine flour and salt; add to milk mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Brush an 8-in. nonstick skillet lightly with melted butter; heat. Stir crepe batter; pour 2 tablespoons into center of skillet. Lift and tilt pan to coat bottom evenly. Cook until top appears dry; turn and cook 15-20 seconds longer. Remove to a wire rack. Repeat with remaining batter, brushing skillet with melted butter as needed. When cool, stack crepes with waxed paper or paper towels in between.
- In a large nonstick skillet, bring the scallops, wine and pepper to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer until scallops are firm and opaque, 3-4 minutes. Drain, reserving cooking liquid; set liquid and scallops aside.
- In the same skillet, saute mushrooms and onions in butter until almost tender. Sprinkle with flour; stir until blended. Gradually stir in evaporated milk and cooking liquid. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened, about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat. Stir in cheese and scallops.
- Spread 1/3 cup filling down the center of each crepe; roll up and place in a 13x9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Cover and bake at 350° until heated through, 12-15 minutes.
Nutrition Facts2 crepes: 331 calories, 10g fat (6g saturated fat), 76mg cholesterol, 641mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 2g fiber), 24g protein. Diabetic exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch, 2 fat.
Originally published as Seafood Crepes with Creamy Wine Sauce in Light & Tasty February/March 2007
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.