- 1 package (16 ounces) rigatoni
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- Minced fresh parsley, optional
- Cook rigatoni according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat 4-6 minutes or until no longer pink, breaking into crumbles; drain and remove sausage from pan.
- In same skillet, heat butter over medium heat. Add mushrooms, garlic, salt and pepper; cook, covered, 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Uncover; cook and stir 2-3 minutes or until mushrooms are tender and liquid is evaporated.
- Stir in cream; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook, uncovered, 8-10 minutes or until slightly thickened. Return sausage to skillet; heat through. Drain pasta; serve with sauce. If desired, sprinkle with parsley. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forCreamy Sausage-Mushroom Rigatoni
"This is a delicious and simple recipe. It's very tasty and very filing. My entire family enjoyed it. We will definitely be making it again."
"Pretty good. The market I shop only had ground hot sausage available. It did give the dish more flavor. Try it only if you like heat. I thickened the cream with flour. I added fresh basil, chopped onion, a splash of white wine and grated Romano cheese. The only pasta I had was fetticinie. Will make again in the winter."
"I have already made this recipe twice!!! My family and I love it. I have made it with pork sausage and it turns out just as good. I also added onions in when I sauteed the mushrooms as well. I'm sure you can add other veggies too, but it's good as it is. It is a great recipe that I will be making again in the future!!!"
"Excellent flavor! I made it exactly as the recipe called out. Next time I will thicken the sauce up a bit. Yummy!!!"
"I used penne instead of rigatoni because I didn't want to go back to the market. Otherwise it tasted exactly like the dish we had in Rome. Delicious. Thank you for sharing"
"Holy CRAP this is AMAZING, I made a few tweaks: I am a veggie-lover so I as the sausage was browning, I cleaned and microwaved 1/4" sliced baby carrots and a bunch of asparagus and added that in with the mushrooms. then I also added a bag of frozen peas. I forgot to pick up the heavy whipping cream so I softened an 8 oz bar of Philly Cream Cheese in 1/2 cup nonfat milk (so no calories, right?) and added that when almost all the liquid was gone from my veggie mixture - it thickened up beautifully and had great texture, too! Of course we topped ours with shredded Parmigiano Reggiano cheese (yum!) to make it perfect. We all LOVED THIS and will absolutely make it for the in-laws next time they're in town!"
"This was good but a little blah. I added 1/2 an onion to the mushrooms and then added flour to the mushroom mixture before stirring in the cream. It thickened up nicely. My husband rated it 3.5."
"Need to add nutritional info"
"When in Rome do as the Romans, except I don't care for sausage, so I used beef. YUMMY!!"
"My wife made this dish. It was really good. The only thing we wish is that the cream sauce would have thickedned up better. HINT: You might try making a RUE first she said. Other than that it was fantastic. Thank you!!!"