- 1 whole garlic bulb
- 1 teaspoon plus 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 1-3/4 cups uncooked whole wheat orzo pasta
- 2-1/2 cups chicken stock
- 3 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese, cubed
- 1 package (9 ounces) fresh spinach, trimmed and chopped
- 1/4 cup shredded Asiago cheese
- 1/4 cup fat-free milk
- 1 teaspoon salt-free garlic pepper seasoning blend
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 425°. Remove papery outer skin from garlic bulb, but do not peel or separate the cloves. Cut off top of garlic bulb, exposing individual cloves. Drizzle cut cloves with 1 teaspoon oil. Wrap in foil. Bake 30-35 minutes or until cloves are soft. Unwrap. When cool enough to handle, squeeze garlic from skins.
- In a Dutch oven, heat remaining oil over medium-high heat. Add pasta; cook and stir 2-3 minutes or until lightly browned. Add stock; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 10-12 minutes or until pasta is tender and liquid is absorbed.
- Stir in cream cheese until melted. Add spinach, Asiago cheese, milk, seasoning blend, salt and roasted garlic; cook and stir until spinach is wilted. Sprinkle with parsley. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forCreamy Roasted Garlic & Spinach Orzo
"This is a very tasty and creamy recipe. It is high in carbohydrates , however, because of the pasta. The flavor is rich. I love the zestiness of the spinach matched with the Asiago cheese. I added fresh parmesan at the end."
"I have to say this was delicious but too rich for my family. I have made it to take to carry-ins and I also switched from chopped spinach to chopped broccoli. It was great too."