Creamy Rhubarb Dessert
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 3/4 cup water
- 6 cups sliced fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts, toasted
- 1 cup cold butter, cubed
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1-1/2 cups miniature marshmallows
- 1 package (3.4 ounces) instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1-2/3 cups cold milk
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts, toasted, optional
- In a large saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch; stir in water until smooth. Add rhubarb; cook and stir until tender, about 10 minutes. Cool.
- Meanwhile, for crust, combine the flour, sugar and nuts in a large bowl. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Press into an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack.
- Pour cooled filling over crust. In a bowl, beat cream until stiff peaks form; fold in marshmallows. Spread over filling. In a bowl, whisk pudding mix and milk for 2 minutes; let stand for 5 minutes or until soft-set. Spread over marshmallow topping. If desired, sprinkle with nuts. Cover and chill for several hours.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 459 calories, 27g fat (16g saturated fat), 80mg cholesterol, 244mg sodium, 51g carbohydrate (32g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Aug 2, 2016
This rhubarb dessert is amazing! I have made this every single year, it is a highly requested recipe. My recipe uses graham wafer crumbs for the base, but either way it's terrific!