Creamy Pumpkin Bubble Ring
I adapted a recipe I saw on public television to create this caramel-coated pumpkin bread. It makes an impressive hostess gift or bake sale contribution. My young ones love to help roll the dough and cream cheese into balls.—Angela Coffman, Kansas City, Missouri
Total TimePrep: 1 hour + rising Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2-1/2 to 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup corn syrup
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 cup chopped pecans, divided
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, cut into 18 pieces
- In a large bowl, mix sugar, yeast, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg and 1-1/2 cups flour. In a small saucepan, heat pumpkin and milk to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat on medium speed 2 minutes. Add egg; beat on high 2 minutes. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn dough onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- In a small saucepan, combine brown sugar, corn syrup and butter; cook and stir over medium heat until sugar is dissolved. Pour half of the mixture into a greased 10-in. fluted tube pan; sprinkle with 1/2 cup pecans.
- Punch down dough; divide and shape into 18 balls. Flatten and wrap each ball around a piece of cream cheese, pinching to seal. Place nine balls in prepared pan; top with the remaining brown sugar mixture and pecans. Top with remaining balls. Cover with a kitchen towel; let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes. Preheat oven to 350°.
- Bake, uncovered, 25-30 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool in pan 10 minutes before inverting onto a serving plate. Serve warm.