Creamy Pineapple Coconut Pie Recipe
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1-1/3 cups pineapple juice
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 cups fresh pineapple chunks (1/2-inch pieces)
- 1 pastry shell (9 inches), baked
- 1/4 cup sweetened shredded coconut, toasted
- 1. In a saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch. Add pineapple juice; bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Boil for 2 minutes.
- 2. In a small bowl, beat egg yolk; stir in 1/4 cup of hot mixture. Return all to pan; cook and stir for 1 minute. Remove from the heat; stir in pineapple.
- 3. Pour into crust. Chill for 2 hours or until firm. Store in the refrigerator. Sprinkle with coconut just before serving. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Editor's Note: Canned pineapple can be substituted for fresh. Use one 20-ounce can and one 8-ounce can of pineapple tidbits. Drain, reserving juice. Add additional pineapple juice if necessary to measure 1-1/3 cups. Prepare recipe as directed.
1 slice: 238 calories, 9g fat (4g saturated fat), 32mg cholesterol, 110mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (22g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.