Using purchased sponge cake eliminates the baking step in this quick cake recipe. The instant pudding topping sets up in no time at all.—Leann Jasper, Newmarket, Ontario
Recommended: 24 Upside-Down Desserts
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 5 individual cream-filled sponge cakes, split in half lengthwise or 7 slices pound cake (about 3/4 inch thick)
- 1 can (20 ounces) crushed pineapple, drained
- 1-1/2 cups cold milk
- 1 package (3.4 ounces) instant vanilla pudding mix
- 2 cups whipped topping, divided
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Place cake in an ungreased 11x7-in. dish. Top with pineapple; cover and set aside.
- In a bowl, beat milk and pudding mix until smooth. Fold in 1/2 cup whipped topping; pour over pineapple. Spread remaining whipped topping over pudding. Sprinkle with nuts. Chill until serving. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Creamy Pineapple Cake in Country Woman March/April 1998, p39