Creamy Pesto Penne with Vegetable Ribbons
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 cups uncooked penne pasta
- 1 cup frozen shelled edamame, thawed
- 4 medium carrots
- 2 yellow summer squash
- 1 medium onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons prepared pesto
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- In a large saucepan, cook pasta according to package directions, adding the edamame during the last 5 minutes of cooking. Meanwhile, using a vegetable peeler or metal cheese slicer, cut carrots and squash into very thin lengthwise strips.
- In a large skillet, saute onion in 1 tablespoon butter until tender. Add the vegetable strips and garlic; saute 2-3 minutes longer or until crisp-tender. Stir in the cream, pesto, salt and remaining butter. Bring to a gentle boil; cook for 2-4 minutes or until sauce is slightly thickened and vegetables are tender.
- Drain pasta and edamame; toss with vegetable mixture. Sprinkle with walnuts.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 521 calories, 33g fat (16g saturated fat), 79mg cholesterol, 315mg sodium, 45g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 7g fiber), 15g protein.
Apr 24, 2015
This was really good, but took much longer to make. Next go round will probably be closer to 30 minutes.
Jul 23, 2014
This was amazing!! I used the whole cup of cream and a tiny bit more pesto. I used peas instead of the edamame. We will definitely have this again.
Jan 11, 2011
Yummy! My husband, who does not prefer vegetarian dinners, devoured this!~ Theresa
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.