Creamy Penne Pasta with Walnuts
My husband says I'm spoiling him when I prepare this recipe. Crunchy walnuts are a wonderful complement to the creamy sauce. You can serve this as an entree or side.—Cheryl Strahm, St. Louis, Missouri
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 3 cups uncooked penne pasta
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 3/4 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon brandy
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- Grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute onion in oil until tender. Add the walnuts, garlic, salt, pepper flakes and pepper; saute 1 minute longer. Remove from the heat.
- Stir in brandy; cook over medium heat until liquid is evaporated. Stir in cream; bring to a gentle boil. Reduce heat; cook for 4-6 minutes or until slightly thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Drain pasta; toss pasta and parsley with cream sauce. Garnish with cheese if desired.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup (calculated without cheese): 475 calories, 32g fat (10g saturated fat), 47mg cholesterol, 185mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 3g fiber), 9g protein.
Originally published as Pasta with Walnuts in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2011