Creamy Pearl Onions
"Not only is this dish delicious, but it's a favorite of family and company alike," writes Suzan Wiener from Spring Hill, Florida. "Best of all, it takes only a few minutes to prepare."
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 10 min.
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen pearl onions
- 4-1/2 teaspoons butter
- 4-1/2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup milk
- Cook onions according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, melt butter; stir in the flour, salt, nutmeg, garlic powder and pepper until smooth. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Drain onions; stir into cream sauce. Sprinkle with paprika.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 169 calories, 8g fat (5g saturated fat), 24mg cholesterol, 289mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Creamed Pearl Onions in Quick Cooking November/December 2004
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.