We grew a large quantity of onions on the farm where I was raised. Since they seemed to go with everything, we enjoyed them often in many different ways. Besides, back in the good old days, Mom said onions kept us from getting colds in the winter!
Recommended: Top 10 Potato Salad Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 24 boiling onions, peeled
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- Dash ground cloves
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- In a large saucepan, cook onions in boiling salted water until tender. Drain; set aside. In the same saucepan, melt butter. Blend in flour and salt until smooth. Add milk all at once; cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir 1 minute more. Stir in the cloves and parsley. Add onions; stir gently until heated through. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Creamed Onions in Reminisce Extra December 1993, p51