Travel to Italy without leaving your kitchen with Sarah Vasques' no-hassle pasta combination. By adding artichoke hearts and rich cream, the Milford, New Hampshire cook turns regular marinara into a special sauce. “Serve it with a garden salad and garlic bread,” she suggests.
Recommended: Witch Halloween Party
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 packages (9 ounces each) refrigerated cheese tortellini
- 2 cups marinara sauce
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1 can (14 ounces) water-packed artichoke hearts, rinsed, drained and chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh thyme or 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Cook tortellini according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, combine marinara sauce and cream. Combine flour and water until smooth; gradually add to sauce. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Add the artichokes, thyme and oil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 3-4 minutes or until heated through. Drain tortellini; toss with sauce. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese, parsley and pepper. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Creamy Marinara Tortellini in Simple & Delicious July/August 2007, p27