Creamy Macaroni ‘n’ Cheese
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1/3 cup finely chopped onion
- 3-1/2 cups cooked elbow macaroni
- 1-3/4 cups shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup fat-free evaporated milk
- 1-3/4 cups Daisy 2% cottage cheese
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, cover and microwave onion on high for 1 minute or until tender; drain. Add the macaroni, cheddar cheese and parsley; set aside.
- In a blender, combine the milk, cottage cheese, mustard, salt and pepper; cover and process until smooth. Stir into macaroni mixture.
- Pour into a 1-1/2-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until lightly browned.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
Nutrition Facts2/3 cup: 229 calories, 6g fat (4g saturated fat), 19mg cholesterol, 491mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 20g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch.
Sep 17, 2017
Sep 22, 2015
My whole family loved this recipe, even my super picky son. Doesn't taste low fat. Out of habit I used ground mustard as I do for a regular cheese sauce and that worked well. Very creamy. Loved the trick with the cottage cheese and the blender and will keep that in mind for other recipes. This is a keeper and you know I didn't expect it.
Nov 10, 2012
I didn't include the onions when I made this recipe, but it was still really good. I've never had a macaroni and cheese like this one before, but this will probably be what I think of the next time I start craving macaroni and cheese. This is definitely going into my recipe book.
Jul 6, 2012
I've been making my own "higher fat/cal" mac 'n' cheese for 30+ years so it was hard to find a lower fat/cal recipe that was comparable. This one does the trick. I do have to admit that I still m iss my higher fat/cal version but will continue to use this one since I really want to cut back on my fat/cal intake.
Jun 21, 2012
This was good but my daughter wouldn't even try it even though she loves mac and cheese. But everyone else liked it!
Feb 25, 2012
I just had this with my family. Wow! Doesn't taste low fat at all! I made it as written, using 6 oz (1 1/2 cups) dry elbows and it came out delicious! I paired it with pecan crusted chicken also on TOH and canned corn for a truely wonderful comfort food family dinner. Not one complaint! Thanks for a great recipe!
Jan 19, 2012
I share this with my friends,yummmmm
May 19, 2011
I will make this again, but use less macaroni. It was pretty dry, but the flavor was nice.
Jan 12, 2011
Was very easy to prepare and a great comfort food as stated. I didn't have cottage cheese so I sub. with cream of chicken soup. Was yummy but can't wait to try it with cottage cheese. Thanks for sharing!
Aug 24, 2010
Really a great simple alternative to "box mac and cheese". I made it with 1% cottage cheese and it was great. Thanks for a wonderful recipe. Linda Faust