- 1/2 cup dried red lentils, rinsed and sorted
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/4 cups vegetable broth
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt, divided
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or grapeseed oil
- 16 cups chopped fresh kale (about 12 ounces)
- 1 can (14 ounces) water-packed artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 2 tablespoons grated Romano cheese
- 2 cups hot cooked brown or basmati rice
- Place first four ingredients and 1/8 teaspoon salt in a small saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until lentils are tender and liquid is almost absorbed, 12-15 minutes. Remove from heat.
- In a 6-qt. stockpot, heat oil over medium heat. Add kale and remaining salt; cook, covered, until kale is wilted, 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add artichoke hearts, garlic and Italian seasoning; cook and stir 3 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in cheese.
- Serve lentils and kale mixture over rice. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews forCreamy Lentils with Kale Artichoke Saute
"My husband was very skeptical about dinner when I told him what I was making, but he ended up loving this. It's a great vegetarian main course...filling, with lots of flavor, protein, and veggies."