I love lemon filled doughnuts when I can find them. This recipe brings the concept to a new level by placing the filling into a baked beignet and enhancing it with a bit of almond flavoring and toasted almonds. The result? Sunshine in a bite. —Arlene Erlbach, Morton Grove, Illinois
Recommended: Classic American Pie Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon cream cheese, softened (4-1/2 ounces)
- 2/3 cup confectioners' sugar, divided
- 2 tablespoons lemon curd
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 small egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons 2% milk
- 3 tablespoons sliced almonds, toasted
- Beat cream cheese, 3 tablespoons confectioners' sugar, lemon curd, lemon zest and almond extract on medium until combined. Refrigerate, covered, for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°. On a lightly floured surface, unfold puff pastry. Roll into a 12x9-in. rectangle. Using a pastry cutter or sharp knife, cut into nine rectangles. Spoon rounded tablespoons of cream cheese mixture in center of each rectangle. In a small bowl, whisk egg with water. Brush edges with egg mixture.
- Wrap puff pastry around filling to cover completely. Pinch edges together to form a ball. Place seam side down, 2 inches apart, on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Brush pastries with remaining egg mixture. Pierce each once with a fork. Bake until golden brown, 15-18 minutes. Cool on wire rack for 5 minutes. Loosen pastries from parchment paper.
- Meanwhile, combine lemon juice, milk and remaining confectioners' sugar. Brush each pastry with lemon glaze. Top with almonds. When glaze is set, in 1-2 minutes, peel off paper. Serve warm. Yield: 9 servings.
Originally published as Creamy Lemon Almond Pastries in Taste of Home February/March 2018