- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)
- 1 envelope Italian salad dressing mix
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- Hot cooked pasta or rice
- Minced fresh oregano, optional
- Place the chicken in a 3-qt. slow cooker. Combine salad dressing mix and water; pour over chicken. Cover and cook on low for 3 hours. Remove chicken. Cool slightly; shred meat with two forks. Return to slow cooker.
- In a small bowl, beat cream cheese and soup until blended. Stir in mushrooms. Pour over chicken. Cover and cook until chicken is tender, 1 hour longer. Serve with pasta or rice. If desired, sprinkle with oregano. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews forCreamy Italian Chicken
"Only one star because I haven't tried it. Is there some way to reduce the amount of sodium? 1500 is my max daily amount, so this would be the only thing I could eat all day."
"Very disappointed. Nothing spectacular"
"This was wonderful! Because I was out of Italian salad dressing mix, I used 1/2 bottle of Italian salad dressing and omitted the water, and used fresh mushrooms, sauteed, instead of canned. Everything else remained the same. Served over egg noodles. A great slow cooker recipe, which I will make again! Microwaving the cream cheese makes it easier to combine with the soup. A definite winner!Volunteer Field Editor"
"This was quite yummy! I made this using the Instant Pot slow cooker function. I made as directed except I didn't shred the chicken, I just cut it into small strips. I also added in some orange bell pepper 30 minutes before it was done (since I omitted the mushrooms, the dish needed a vegetable). I think the flavor of the peppers went well but I need to put them in a bit longer (they were still a tad too crisp). Next time I'll try adding in other vegetables as well. 4-stars because though it was delicious, the sauce was very thick and rich. If that could be diluted just a bit, I think this would be a winner."
"I have been making this for 10 years and it is a definite family favorite. I typically slice my chicken breasts into thin pieces. My original recipe does not call for it to be shredded. That seems to have been added recently."
"Love love love it! Cooked as directed. Has so much flavor and easy to make"
"I've made it twice already. I made it according to directions the first time, but this last time I happened upon a refrigerated cooked rotisserie chicken marked down at the grocery store. So instead of using the crock pot, I put all the sauce ingredients in a pot, heated them together on low whole I pulled the meat of the rotisserie chicken (I got rid of the skin, too.) I got just over 21 ounces of cooked meat from the chicken and or it all in the sauce and heated it through. It was a bit on the thick side, so I loosened it up with chicken broth. Simmered it all together until it was hot and it came out great (and pretty quick once the chicken was taken apart.) I used reduced fat cream cheese and the 98% fat free cream of chicken soup. It was still amazingly rich. I also added little red pepper flakes. This one is a keeper for sure in my household."
"My wife couldn't stop raving about this dish. My family really enjoyed it. Thank you!"
"My family loves this. I have made it many times.It never gets old. I have it in the crock-pot now. can't wait"