VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 6 eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups milk, divided
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- Additional whipped cream and ground nutmeg, optional
- In a large heavy saucepan, whisk together the eggs, sugar and salt. Gradually add 2 cups milk. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until a thermometer reads 160°, about 25 minutes.
- Pour into a large bowl; stir in the vanilla, nutmeg and remaining milk. Place the bowl in an ice-water bath; stir frequently until mixture is cool. If mixture separates, process in a blender until smooth. Cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours.
- When ready to serve, in a small bowl, beat cream on high speed until soft peaks form; whisk gently into cooled mixture. Pour into a chilled punch bowl. If desired, top with dollops of whipped cream and sprinkle with nutmeg. Yield: 6 servings (about 4 cups).
Originally published as Holiday Eggnog in The Taste of Home Cookbook 2006, p47
Reviews forCreamy Holiday Eggnog
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Dec. 13, 2011