Creamy Herbed Vegetables
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 35 min.
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon each rubbed sage, dried thyme, parsley flakes, garlic powder, salt and pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 jar (16 ounces) pearl onions, drained
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen peas
- 1 package (14 ounces) frozen baby carrots
- Melt butter in a large saucepan; stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add cream, broth and seasonings. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly until thickened and bubbly. Add onions, peas and carrots. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 134 calories, 7g fat (4g saturated fat), 26mg cholesterol, 203mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 4g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jun 25, 2017
A great side dish with wonderful flavor!! It's a keeper!!
Dec 25, 2011
We make this recipe for Christmas every year. It is very flavorable and always a hit.
Sep 27, 2009
Excellent and easy! Creamed vegetables are so very satisfying. I like to use fresh herbs as much as possible, so I used fresh thyme (1 tablespoon) and parsley. Also I substituted heavy cream for the half & half - I like it rich! I have served this for Thanksgiving dinner for the 35 relatives I have every year, and everyone gives it thumbs up!
Aug 24, 2009
I had forgotten about this wonderful recipe! What is so great is that you can alter the herbs to suit your own tastes. I have used ginger, tarragon and/or dill weed depending upon what I was serving it with.