Creamy Ham Pasta Casserole
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min.
Makes2 casseroles (9 servings each)
- 10 cups uncooked tricolor spiral pasta
- 4 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 3 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed cheddar cheese soup, undiluted
- 3 cups 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1 cup crushed Ritz crackers
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, saute the celery, pepper and onion in butter until tender. Stir in the soup, milk and salt. In a very large bowl, combine the soup mixture, ham and mushrooms. Drain pasta; add to soup mixture and toss to coat.
- Transfer to two greased 13x9-in. baking dishes. Top with cracker crumbs. Cover and freeze one casserole for up to 3 months. Bake the remaining casserole, uncovered, at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
- To use frozen casserole: Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 50-55 minutes or until heated through.
Nutrition Facts1-1/3 cups: 345 calories, 10g fat (4g saturated fat), 30mg cholesterol, 1107mg sodium, 48g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 16g protein.
Jul 29, 2017
I don't much care for cheese soup, so substituting low fat mushroom soup does the trick!Omit the salt for sodium restrictions and sub with garlic, and onion powder.Great recipe for a crowd..
Apr 3, 2016
We really enjoyed the dish and the leftovers reheated well in the microwave. I didn't have enough ingredients for the whole. In halving, I used one can of cheddar soup and had to substitute 1 can of cream of mushroom and some shredded cheddar. I had tricolor bow tie pasta which worked well. This is one of only two casseroles we have ever liked for using leftover ham. Thank you for sharing the recipe!
Jan 20, 2015
This recipe was very hearty and everyone enjoyed it, it was a way to use the ham I froze from christmas.
Dec 7, 2014
This was not very good. I'm so thankful I only made enough for one casserole.... And what was left from that I threw out. There's just a ton of that cheese soup in it and that stuff is not very good. The taste was off when I followed the recipe exactly. I attempted to improve it but it did only slightly. The combination of celery and fake cheese soup that's full of sodium was just weird! I'm keeping the recipe only so I make sure I don't forget and make it again!
Feb 16, 2011
Hearty! And this recipe would feed an army. I have the second pan in the freezer waiting for a busy week.
Jan 28, 2010
This was wonderful. I am not a casserole person and the whole family enjoyed this.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.