"My mother made this dish while we were growing up, and it was the first recipe I requested from her collection when I moved out on my own," recalls Meg Fortino of Powder Springs, Georgia. "My husband loves it and requests the leftovers for his lunch box."
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 jar (2 ounces) diced pimientos, drained
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In a large skillet, saute green pepper in butter until tender. Stir in flour until blended; gradually add the milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat to low; stir in mayonnaise until blended. Stir in remaining ingredients; heat through. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Creamy Ham and Rice in Quick Cooking March/April 2004, p55