Creamy Green Bean Salad
IN our early years of marriage, my husband asked me to make bean salad "like his mother's". I've tried many versions, but this is the one our whole family likes best. In the past, I'd can about 50 quarts of green beans every year, but now my husband suggests I can only enough to keep making this salad. -Lorraine Mix, Remer, Minnesota
Total TimePrep: 10 min. + chilling
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 tablespoon prepared Italian salad dressing
- 1 can (8 ounces) cut green beans, drained
- 1 medium tomato, chopped and drained
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- Lettuce leaves
- In a bowl, combine sour cream and salad dressing; mix well. Stir in beans, tomato and onion. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour. Serve on lettuce.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 95 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 506mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Creamy Green Bean Salad in Reminisce Extra October 1999
Feb 6, 2014
This turned out really good. I added a cup of chopped carrots, three steaks chopped and some bacon. I also omitted the lettuce. It turned out to be a whole meal in itself and everyone loved it. I will be making it again.